Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Thunder Storm and A Gift



As I write I am listening to the second worst storm I have ever experienced!!  The worst was a few days ago!!  Thunder, lightening and rain like we don't get in Canada, or at least on the west coast.  Nigel has just made a run for it to the medical clinic where the team is sleeping!   As well, there is no power so the only light is that of a small lantern - lets just say I am happy not to be alone here tonight as I watch the sky light up every few minutes followed by thunder that does a good job of getting my heart rate up!

The past few days have been very full as we have run a VBS Program at the Kid Care School down the road.  Entertaining 200+ kids for the day, some as young as 3 or 4 years old is not a small job for 4-5 people so we were thankful that our kids came to our rescue.  All three were a big help - Paisley must have organized the tables and chairs in the classrooms I don't know how many times.  The children at the school were beyond excited to have a group of Mzungu's around to touch and wonder about.  It was good to be out in the community as it gives us a broader sense of the realities of life here in Africa.  To see the conditions that these children attend school everyday is hard to grasp as I compare it to where my own children attend.  I find myself repeatedly wondering "why?" - Why are we so blessed in Canada while the people here suffer so much?  These people do not deserve the suffering they endure, and truly it is relentless, even in our somewhat sheltered little community here.  Yesterday our driver (and friend) Jonny showed up in the morning only to tell me that it had been a difficult weekend as his friend lost his wife and child during childbirth.  And yet life must go on and they must all go to work the next day.  I feel I have more questions than ever this year as the contrast between the lives we lead in Canada and the lives of our friends here finds no meeting place, and I am in the center of this.  I don't know how to respond when tonight my new friend Jovia finds me and slips a bracelet onto my wrist that she has been given only hours earlier by a lady visiting the property.  This is a girl who has worn the same ripped shirt and skirt since we arrived almost 2 weeks ago, yet she has chosen to give me this one possession.  Everything in me is refusing to take this gift, and yet I know I must, so I let her slip it onto my wrist and tell her how very very thankful I am for it and that as I wear it in Canada I will be reminded of her and will pray for her.  I have to admit I have yet to understand the kind of generousity this young child has shown me. I have much to learn.

On a lighter note, we went to the Girl's Home this evening for a great time of being entertained by their singing and dancing!  One of the highlights was of course their "Wedding Dance" where half are boys and half girls and the boys choose a wife.  The women are free to either accept or deny, which had us doubled over as at the end Owen, Scott and Brent were all turned down - so in came Nigel with some dance moves the likes of which have not before been seen!!  Mama Sophie was laughing so hard she was holding her stomach, and Nigel, well, he took a bride!!!  So much fun it is to be with those girls - they truly are just the happiest, sweetest bunch!!!

Tomorrow we have a few things to accomplish, including painting some termite 'stuff' on the church in Mpigi to prevent the wood from being eaten, as well as a few of the team are teaching at a local school.  I am sad that it will be our last day with the team here in Mpigi:(  I have loved getting to know each of them and will miss them as they begin to head home soon.  We will all be spending a couple of days in Jinja for a team debrief before they fly out on Sunday.  A few of them are going White Water Rafting on the Nile.  Scott went last year, so it is my turn........I am a bit nervous after seeing his video of last year and knowing you can't get through it without being dumped a least a couple of times....We shall see.......

The storm continues to rage on....the good new is the house is cool, the bad news is I just had a few drops land on my arm - hhhhmmmmmm

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tracey! You've got me crying and laughing, all at the same time!! Nigel's dance moves are one of a kind, that's for sure!! Wish I was there to witness it, but I can imagine it none the less! Again, can't wait to be there!!!!

    ReplyDelete