Saturday, June 11, 2011

Life and Ponderings


It has been a full week for us here in Uganda.  Paisley and I (Tracey) went to a couple houses on Care and Compassion with the team.  It was Paisley’s first time to be out visiting families in the community and she did great, going as far as extending her hand as she was introduced to one of the Patriarchs of the home.  I feel so grateful for the experience our children are getting of such a different culture simply as a by-product of our ministry.  My hope is that their experiences will open up the options they see for their futures and that they will have a worldview that extends beyond what they are drawing from their North American upbringing.

We had quite the drive home from Kampala last night in the dark – we sat in one crazy intersection as we watched cars try to maneuver their way around other vehicles, holding our breath as they would come within an inch of our van, and watching as right ahead of us two vehicles gently collided.  It was entertaining, hot, and a challenge for anyone who might be prone to clausterphobia!!

Thursday was a great day as we spent the entire day with the kids!!  We took them to the Equator where many had never been before, did some crafts, served them hotdogs and chips for lunch (some were not too fond of the hotdogs, while others ate up to 5!!)  The buns with ketchup were a hit however!   We ended the day by going for a hike to the top of a nearby hill where we played soccer and just hung out!!  It was great to see them all enjoying themselves so much.  

As I observed the children on Thursday I had the thought that although they may not be rich materially, they are extremely rich relationally and spiritually.  The way that they love and care for each other is like nothing I have experienced in Canada.   Being the relational person that I am, I cannot help but be in awe of the friendships the people here share, which I think is one of the things that continues to draw me back.    While it is a privilege to be able to help them out by providing food, clothing, backpacks, medical care and the likes, I cannot help but be aware of all the ways in which they are teaching us.

People have often asked/questioned the safety of us bringing our kids to Africa and I can say without reservation that I have not once felt any concern for their safety.  In fact it is the opposite, as the Ugandans here usually are more aware of where my children our and what they are up to than I am.  I feel as though we are surrounded by people young and old who watch out for us at every turn.

It has also been a lot of fun to be here with the team from Peace Portal.  They are a great group of people who seem to be enjoying all the various aspects of life in Uganda.  It is always fun to see it all through the eyes of those taking it all in for the first time.  Of course I would be amiss if I didn’t mention the fact that Paisley has attached herself to a few of the girls on the team which has basically given us a week long break from parenting her – she has communicated that she plans to also go home with them!!! 

As I type my boys are trying out their new bow and arrows.  The intelligence of this purchase is still up for debate, but for two boys, they are in their glory!!!  The purchases came out of Brent offering to take them Monkey hunting – should be interesting, especially since Beck thinks they will then bring them home to eat!!!

Another treat for our family has been to have Ross with us for a few days.   He is busy teaching for 8 hours a day, a task only he could take on with such ease, but has been joining us for meals which has be great.  It is the first time we have been together in Uganda so we are enjoying the experience and the kids of course were happy to have “Uncle Ross” arrive.

The temperature this year seems somehow warmer than in the past so I am always looking for a patch of shade to hide in – but needless to say our farmer’s tans are in full bloom!!! 

The kids will arrive home from school shortly which will allow some time for play and to help them with their chores.  The way these children work without complaint is unimaginable.   The kids in P7 are often at school for over 12 hours a day.  Can you imagine the complaining in North America if we tried to do that???  I can’t help but wonder at times if we are missing the boat at times in how we are raising our children.  I have much to think about and here I feel I actually have time to do so!!



No comments:

Post a Comment