Friday, June 24, 2011

A Lesson in Bilharzia

One of the friendships that I have enjoyed developing during our various times in Uganda has been with Rose, Pastor Geoffrey's wife.  Maybe it is the instant bond that those of us married to Pastors seem to have,  but regardless, we share a bond.   My heart has gone out to Rose as she has struggled with her health for the past two years.  She has been to various doctors who have most commonly diagnosed her with Peptic Ulcers.  We were able to help her get treatment for her condition last year, so when we arrived this year to find her feeling even worse I began to wonder if she was being properly diagnosed.  She was having to spend most days in bed with a fever, severe stomach pain, mouth and throat ulcers and body aches.   Yesterday at noon we decided it was time to take her to The Surgery (a British Hospital popular with ex-pats).   Pastor Geoffrey insisted I be with Rose throughout her examination, which proved to be a very informative time!!  Rose was seen by a British Dr. who has been practicing medicine in Uganda for 31 years.  Right away I knew she was in good hands.  He had me explain her symptoms, looked her over and then abruptly asked if she had spent time in any lakes.  Geoffrey explained that in fact they had lived on an Island for 2 yrs surrounded by Lake Victoria.  Right away this somewhat cynical man began to laugh.  He was sure that what she was suffering from was Bilharzia as she presented with every symptom.  He went on to inform me about life in Uganda for at least 10 minutes, which although extremely informative was not what we had come for.  After a number of hours and many pokes in poor Roses arms and hands trying to obtain blood from her collapsed veins we were  back on the road heading to Mpigi with treatment for 2 different parasites and instructions that if she was not well in 10 days to bring her back and he would continue the testing.  We are praying that Rose is now on her way to health and no more visits will be necessary.  It was humbling to see their gratitude at obtaining medical care that on their own they would never have received.  I know that for myself I feel I am entitled to good medical care and have taken this luxury for granted.  I know there are some who may not agree with us taking them to The Surgery however, there is no way for me to reconcile within myself that somehow we are deserving of the best medical care while our Uganda friends should be sent elsewhere after enduring an illness for the past two years.   I even had the thought yesterday that if I am ever really sick I may request Scott bring me to Uganda to see Dr. Stokely:)

1 comment:

  1. You did the right thing to bring Rose to the British doctor. God is compassionate and you showed tremendous compassion. Keep up the great work. May the Lord bless your family!


    Aaron

    ReplyDelete