Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Crocidile Hunter....Not!!!!

Today was our "Dickie-adventure day"...

Boda (motorbike) for 40  minutes to a boat launch,  take a boat over to Entebbe,  secure transport to the Kampala Snake park once we actually know where it is....and after that....see how the day goes.  Boy...did it go!

We ended up NOT at the snake park but at a Reptile park in Entebbe instead....and the snakes were still sweet!

Before I continue....Let's establish something right off off the start: I'm an idiot (Scott typing!)

Having established this fact....you will find it no surprise that I considered it a good idea to hold...or attempt to hold... a somewhat tiny (3-3.5 feet) Nile Crocodile today.

My attempt to hold one of God's great creatures was cut short by a series of unfortunate events:

1.  I grabbed the tail of the above-mentioned croc while the guide held it's head
2.  The guide released the head as I was moving into position to secure that same head
3.  Upon the release of it's head....and prior to my hand securing above mentioned head...the croc decided to let me know what he thought about my plans.
4.  He did this by securing his teeth into my right-hand that was holding it's tail.

(Information break:  Turns out crocs...particularly young ones...have terribly sharp teeth.  I have verified this fact just today....now back to the series of unfortunate events...)

5.  Upon seeing a croc secured to my hand by it's teeth....I panicked...flung my hand in the air, thereby releasing the croc (good) but tearing a significant gash into my hand below the thumb (bad).  The croc landed on it's head and I did my patented Ninja back role (otherwise known as a trip) to avoid the now-free croc who decided to make a bolt for freedom.
6.  Bleeding profusely, I assured my traumatized kids (and wife!) that I was 'fine'...and then Brent and I walked briskly up the hill to get the fastest boda to get me to the nearest clinic.
7.  I arrived.  I got lots of freezing, got internal stitches and then outside stitches with something akin to rope back home,  got a new tetanus shot, some antibiotics, pain killers....and sent back to Mpigi with a great story....and sincere thanks that my foolishness did not amount to something more serious like the loss of a thumb.

The day lived up to our declaration: "Dickie Adventure day"....but just a bit different than we had envisioned!

I'm doing fine...sore hand (amazing how swollen it is because of his hard 'clamp' on my hand)....and feeling just slightly embarrassed at my now-obviously-poor-choice (ahhhh.....hindsight....)

Can't type anymore....turns out I use my right-hand for a lot of things!

Pics will have to be viewed at Tracey's facebook at a later date.

Grace & Peace to all....

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment