Saturday, June 5, 2010

At last a quiet moment to sit and write - where to begin...?? Three days into our time in Uganda and I feel like I've lived here forever. It is so very comfortable to be here, which I attribute to the incredible hospitality and love of the people here.

We have just finished dinner - rice, corn and cucumber!! At this point we don't have a refrigerator which makes keeping meat difficult, but amazingly the kids are not complaining - they simply grab a spoon and dig into the peanut butter when they get hungry!! Having Lydie (our friend from France who lived with us a few years back) here to help with the cooking is truly a blessing - much less responsibility for me and I'm happy to be the dish washer!

Our kids have been the biggest surprise - I have barely seen them!! They rush through meals in order to get back outside to play with the kids. Owen has played I don't know how many hours of soccer in the past three days - he should be in the shape of his life come football season this Fall. Beckham, well he makes his rounds - soccer with the big boys, games with the younger kids, joining into games with the older girls (I'm not sure invites were given), really he is in his glory here!!! For those of you who have been here, Beck is often found hanging out with Cissy....they are very cute!!! Paisley is having a blast as well - she is shy to speak with the older kids who try desperately to make conversation with her, but she has found 3 young boys who she loves to play with - she taught them 'Ring around the Rosie' today, they tickle each other with grass, and basically have a blast together!! Those who know these kids will not be surprised that these buddies of hers are Martyn, Wasswa, and Kato!!

The Ugandan children are such a joy....I am sure I could sit with them and never tire of their company. Today my friend Rebecca came to me with a piece of sugar cane for Paisley and I to share. I figured this had been found on the property, but asked anyways where she had gotten it from. My heart melted when her friend spoke for her saying that she had bought it with money she had been given by her grandmother. These children do not get money often, nor is she likely to being seeing her again anytime soon. I have much to learn about generosity from these children. My heart is full when I am here. Tonight we will go to the girls home to hear them sing and dance - they love to perform!!

A highlight for me is spending time with Pastor Geoffrey and his wife Rose. Geoffrey wanders up for coffee and cookies most days and I SO love to sit and talk about books, God and life in Uganda with him. Today he shared with us that his family has been struggling with a lot of sickness. He had just spent last night at the clinic with his eldest son who is very ill with Malaria and was admitted to receive IV Malaria medication. As well, shortly before we arrived his wife Rose ended up with complications from medications she was given for Malaria and almost died. I had a short visit with her today and she is doing much better. One of the things I most look forward to this summer is developing my friendship with her.

For the young boys who are interested, we found a LARGE spider in our home today which Beckham packed up and took outside to show off. He returned awhile later with a millipede and many other critters he had caught. Owen on the other hand is our gecko/chameleon guy, for which I am thankful as I'm not really excited when they are walking around my feet while I am cooking dinner. I did learn tonight that they drop their tails to divert their predators........Owen was the predator and stood holding a flapping tail, it was lovely!!!

We are so VERY THANKFUL for this time in our lives and all who have helped to make it possible. Loud singing has just begun to drift through our window which calls to me so I must go join in for the post-dinner singing/dancing.........

1 comment:

  1. So jealous! Looking forward to joining you guys shortly.

    ReplyDelete