Thursday, May 13, 2010

Things To Think Through....

"What does one do on sabbatical?" you might ask...

Apart from some increased kid-time, I've had the chance to read, listen, and learn through the following...

"The Throne, The Lamb, and The Dragon" by Paul Spilsbury. When else would I ever read a book about Revelations but on sabbatical!?! For those of you who want a general overview of the book that also challenges some of the assumptions that Tim LaHaye and the "Left Behind" series have popularized....this is a good read.

"Strengthening The Soul of Your Leadership" by Ruth Haley Barton. This has been my 'reflection' book and I'm asking God to refill my tank as I read through this book that follows the life of Moses.

A Pastor's conference at Regent College that was encouraging thoughtful interaction between science and Christianity. While broad in it's scope...a few of the talks are essential for those of you who are 'closet' Theistic-evolutionists or those of you who are strident creationists!

"The Glory of Preaching" by Darrell Johnson. Those of you who call PPAC your home will be thrilled to know that I finished a book that is meant to improve my preaching (time will tell!)

A Evening Lecture at Regent College by Rod Wilson with the provocative title, "Why is Emotional Intelligence Missing in so Many Christian Communities?" An interesting presentation that briefly addressed the question from the Psychological, Theological, and Neuro-scientific perspectives.

And now I've just started a book entitled, "The Hole in Our Gospel" written by Richard Stearns. Although only 1/4 of the way through it, I'm already thinking it's a must-read for the future team-members who will engage in Short-term missions trips from PPAC. In fact, I suspect by the end of it I will be wishing all PPAC would read this one!

Aren't I a party animal?

Nonetheless it's been both beneficial and insightful for me!

PS. I also got out to Iron Man 2 for some mindless entertainment. Pretty lame from my perspective (as far as action movies go). I'm all for the conflicted/authentic hero genre....but in a movie geared towards Owen's age and up?.....that's the role models they get to grow up with? Bummer for them.

Hoping for something far better this next week with 'Robin Hood'!

Grace & Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment