Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Going to Uganda...the long way!

Well....the good news is we're getting to Uganda in spite of the strike going on with British Airways. The not-so-good news is we will need to fly from London all the way down to South Africa (read: fly right past Uganda) so we can fly back up to Uganda (another 5 hour flight back up). We haven't done the math around how many hours of travel....I don't think we want to.

This will be real fun with kids.

The silver lining is that we're hoping to be able to see our good friends Daryl & Nikki Mulder (and their new little one) for a few hours at the airport in Jo-berg (unless Tracey can convince South Africa Airlines to let us stay in South Africa a few days longer!).

In all seriousness....I'm not complaining....I'm more amused than anything.

It really is all about perspective.

How does one complain about flying halfway around the globe for such an experience? In fact, I think it should be a legal offense in North America to complain about the hardships of travel. If it's so hard....why don't we give the 2.5 billion people who live on $2 a day a chance at it to see how they handle it?

(I really hope I remember this blog post 35 hours into our trip to Uganda! I'm well aware that I'm going to have plenty of time to actually practice what I preach from June 31 - July 2!)

Enough preaching....all this to say: we're heading out on Monday as planned! Appreciate your prayers for continued peace and proper perspective as we leave.

Peace.



1 comment:

  1. Well Dickie family, the flights are out of your control (remind me of that when we see you at the end of June). The one tip I can give you about flying, a smile to the person behind the counter is priceless!
    Your in our prayers, travel safe and we will see you in Uganda.

    ReplyDelete